Sunday, February 11, 2007

So, Eclair asked if I was going away with work, or if I was running away with a dishy Welshman. The answer is neither (sadly, in the case of the dishy Welshman). I am going on my own, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do after I get there. I have three months to figure that out!

Actually, I think what I might do is some legal temporary or contract work, although I think I'm also going to apply for the Buckingham Palace job that Rebecca had last year - the pay's crap but is looks like fun! Long-term I'm thinking of working for some kind of NGO or IGO, or GO in fact, or maybe even some further study.

Question for those of you who have moved to the other side of the world: how much STUFF did you take? I can't really decide what to take with me and what to leave. I think I'm just going to end up taking clothes and my laptop. But then I think about my knitting books, cook books, 400 thread count sheets... how do you decide?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much to take rather depends on whether or not you are ever planning to come home. If this is likely to be a forever thing then take your books and sheets. You can get stuff shipped on a pallet and it shares a container with other part-loads, shrink wrapped in individual 'lots' although Customs might open them all on entry.

If you are going for a year or two then leave your precious stuff with family, friends or in storage and just take clothes and laptops, if you pack your stuff up as if you were shipping it then you can always send for it later. My sister did this and stored her stuff with a company who also arrange shipping, just in case she needed it sent on to her. She did and it was a smooth move.

Where in Britain are you thinking of? London is probably the obvious choice but you shouldn't overlook Edinburgh or even cities like Manchester. And I know lots of people for whom Dublin is first choice.

It's all so exciting!

1:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ohhh yes, the eternal question. We have several categories: stuff we don't like (give/ throw away), stuff we're taking with us, stuff we're sending ahead, short-term storage, and long-term storage.

We're taking/ sending ahead the clothes, books and household items we will need fairly immediately, and sending short-term items once we've found a flat. Long term stuff could be years away.

IMHO, the important things are to be a bit ruthless, use TradeMe, and create a really comprehensive inventory so you know what boxes you might want shipped later.

Exciting news though!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home