Monday, October 09, 2006

Dear Starbucks

Dear Starbucks,

I tried to like you. I tried to put aside all I learned during the course of my Political Science degree about how you forced world coffee prices down and about how poor Columbian coffee farmers have had to turn to drugs to supplement their incomes. I tried to focus instead on how well you apparently treat your employees here in New Zealand. I will admit that you do have cosy chairs, and I did try not to be so snobbish about your other clientele. I tried to understand why your prices are so inflated and your ambience so manufactured compared to other more local coffee institutions. I know that my boyfriend really enjoys drinking at your outlets and, although I am an independent, free-thinking woman, yes I did try to like you for his sake.

I understand that many people like being able to go into a shop anywhere in the world and being assured of getting the same thing every time. I understand that, so do I.

However, I am unfamiliar with your menu, so when I ask for a trim milk hazelnut hot chocolate and it comes with not only hazelnut syrup but also vanilla syrup and mocha syrup, which apparently come as standard with all of your hot chocolates (and would be horrible enough by themselves but far worse with the addition of hazelnut!) I'm sure you can understand my distress at being given what is by far the worst hot chocolate I have ever had. Also, what was the weird oily-looking stuff floating on top?

Sorry Starbucks, but this simple girl prefers to walk into her local coffee place and ask for a trim milk hazelnut hot chocolate, or perhaps an iced chocolate even, and get exactly that!


Regards,
Sarah

p.s. I know what a cappucino is (it's what you drink with breakfast in Italy) but what the heck is a Frappucino anyway?

p.p.s. I'm drinking tea now!

p.p.p.s WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE YOU?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, the Starbucks my supervisor and I went to in Bangkok was quite cool. Nice sandwitches, and they had a clockwork lift-mechanism for conveying your drink up to the balcony level, where we were sitting.

Frappucino - Cappucino frappe?

Of course, I think Bangkok would be just about the only time I've been to one...

9:18 PM  
Blogger The Skirt said...

Ah, Starbucks, home of so many beverages, and yet so many disappointments.

I've found that the trick to getting what you want is to order very specifically. So for example, you'd say a hot chocolate made only with chocolate and hazelnut syrups.

It is tiresome, though. Especially when they give you the eyebrow for being specific (as if Mr tall size in a grande cup half caf half decaf trim milk no foam cappuccino is normal, but you aren't), and you can't eyebrow them back.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Justine said...

yeah, and then someone else comes and takes YOUR coffee, so you have to wait while another one is made, and then they come back and complain that they didn't get what they asked for - no s*** sherlock. Actually Flash and I did frequent the one in New Lynn from time to time, because they had a lovely guy who brought your order to you - they probably fired him.

Thanks for the website advice Sarah,I feel a bit better now, just got to keep my eyes on the baby gap!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home