Tuesday, June 06, 2006

hello

I figured I would start this new blog on a high note.

I've had a really good day. It started on Sunday, really. I went shopping and bought a fantastic pair of pants. These pants fit so well and make my legs look so skinny they must be magic. I wore them to work today and my whole day went well. See, magic! They're like the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants pants but I'm not sharing them ever! Ok, maybe it wasn't the pants, but for the first time in a long long time, I finished the day feeling satisfied, without worrying whether I'll have enough time to do everything I need to do tomorrow.

Now I'm relaxing at home, I've has a glass of wine and a bowl of warm pasta and I'm watching Lost. Correction, I just finished watching Lost. Nice cliffhanger!

I should explain a little more about myself. I am three things first and foremost: a dancer, a knitter, and a lawyer.

I dance salsa, and also teach the odd class. I've been dancing for seven years now and it's my passion. I've also done many other kinds of dance, but salsa is my first love. I like all styles of salsa, but at the moment I'm into New York style On 2 (or On 1, I'm not too picky). I've also been getting into Rueda again lately, so I'm not completely ignoring the Cuban.

My second passion, knitting, was introduced to me by my Mum when I was about six or seven. I knitted a jumper for my teddy bear, Teddy Pongo, which he still wears today. Sadly after that though I didn't knit anything else until I was about 22. I love knitting all kinds of different things and learning something new with everything I knit. I'm beginning to develop an alarming preference for luxury fibres (alarming for my bank balance, that is). I'll probably post a lot about knitting, so I'll elaborate more in future posts! I haven't been bitten by the sock knitting bug yet, however. It's my final knitting frontier.

I am a lawyer and have been since I was admitted to the bar in July last year. I still find it a little strange. I think more than other jobs, it really gets into you and becomes a part of who you are. Or maybe because this is the first job I've had that is actually a career. It brings with it a certain way of looking at things. You never really stop being a lawyer either - it's what I am for life now. Just like I'll always be a knitter and a dancer.

Finally, I'm a New Zealander. I'm also a Brit, but I've lived here in New Zealand for all of my life (apart from brief stints away). However I think the dual nationality is worth mentioning because I've certainly been heavily influenced by my parents' culture and language.

That's probably long enough for a first post! Welcome to my new home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home